Monday, June 28, 2010

An Atypical Sunday

I went "visiting" today. The first part of the day was spent visiting with the children in the nursery. We visited about letters, trucks, animal sounds, and dirty diapers.

The next part of my day was spent visiting a kind friend. She is staying in a nursing home, but only for a few more days. This friend of mine was extremely happy to see me and I was happy to see her. We enjoyed "healthy" hamburgers and drinks from Sonic, a break from the ordinary supper she usually eats. We shared stories of getting old and funny experiences with people older than we are. I really enjoy my visits with her. I wonder why it always takes me so long to get there.

My last visit today, was a visit down memory lane. My youngest son needed some pictures and papers from his school years. I spent several hours pouring over papers, and report cards, pictures, medals, ribbons, old programs, lots of paintings and memories of school days long gone. I relieved his piano playing, his gymnastics, field days, class parties, award ceremonies. I was reminded of the good times and the bad times. Of tears, laughter, trips, homework, reading books before bedtime, pets, competitions, sports, cars, tournaments, more competitions, school work, school days, worrying, laughing, crying, smiling, summer days, summer nights, girl friends, good friends, bad friends, star watching, bug catching, fishing, swimming, driving, cooking, washing, cheering, and vactions...... I'm glad I kept those papers and pictures and ribbons. It was awesome going back through them. Looking back, it's funny how the talents and loves and skills of a child are evident from day one. The obstacles and weaknesses that they must overcome are also present from day one. It's interesting too, to see the difference each teacher made, the impressions they left behind, the effort they took in the words they used to mold and encourage and discourage. The time they took to help my child grow and learn. What a blessing each of these people have been in his life. Unfortunately, there are memories of those who made a lasting mark of hurt, pain that has also stayed with him. I wonder how many times we say things to others that has a detrimental and lasting effect. I still remember the words adults said to me that built me up and the words adults spoke to me to tear me down. I wonder why we don't know the how lasting and powerful are words are.

I love my children. I hope they know that now as much as they knew that when they were little. Actually, I hope they know that even better now. I hope that the mistakes I made can be forgiven and that the words I may have spoken without thinking or in anger didn't leave as much of a mark as the words I spoke and the actions I took to love, protect and guide and care for them.

It's funny how just a few items can open up a multitude of memories. I hope I never lose that ability to call back those memories and I hope my kids won't forget them either. I think, perhaps, both the good and the bad memories are good to remember. Together, those experiences help us to be better human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment