Monday, June 21, 2010

A Change in Heart

Recently, a friend of mine on Facebook, wrote the following quote from Max Lucado: “You change your life by changing your heart.” That quote sent me on a writing frenzy in an attempt to express what I have been contemplating for a long time. The thoughts that follow are ones I posted on Facebook, I’m sure to the aggravation of those who hate long posts. In fact, my response was so long, that I had to divide it into two posts. At any rate, I wanted to post these thoughts to share. If you have comments, positive or negative, I would love to read your thoughts, too.



I think instead of changing our own hearts, we need to give up our hearts. I think the only way our hearts will change is to recognize God's great love for us. And even that recognition is a gift of God.

In the U S, we don't really understand or like the idea of being anything but independent and in control of our own destiny. But Jesus came to rule and reign over a kingdom. That kingdom wasn't and isn't a political kingdom. He came to reign over our hearts. Although we strive for freedom, and it is a part of our heritage, we can't ever be free. Either sin will reign in our hearts or He will. And we can't change our hearts. We can't change our inclination to do evil. Only a full understanding of, affection for, adoration of, and total devotion to Him (which are only possible through the grace of God) can transform our hearts. "Create in me a clean heart, oh, God, and renew a right spirit within me..." It's God who changes our hearts.

If we really believe and understand how much He loves us, we can't help but love Him back by the way we live. If we really understand who Christ is and what He has done and is doing, we will respond out of love and gratitude! The more we know about God, the more we will love Him. If we really trusted that He cares for us, then doing what He asks and not doing what He forbids would be so much easier.

It's our ignorance of who He is, our doubt in His love and power, and our unwillingness for Him to reign (a.k.a. change and control our hearts) that causes us to live the way we do.

So, I think that instead of continually trying to change myself and others (whether it is my life, my actions, or my heart), from now on, I'm going to spend more time reading the Bible and praying, asking Him to reveal Himself, His power, His love, and His will to me, to give me a faith that will not grow weak... I'm going to ask Him to change and soften my heart so that I can know and do what He says. I'm going to ask Him to give me a heart like His and a future with Him in heaven after this life is long gone. I'm longing for that completely trusting heart that knows being under His rule is worth more than any freedom I might have in this temporary life. I want a new heart, a heart that is better than any change I can make. I want a heart that wants above all to serve Him, instead of the selfish and self-centered doubting one I've got. And I want that for the people I know and love, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment